Recognizing the 10 Major Symptoms of Hearing Loss
It’s important to understand that hearing loss can affect anyone, however, it is more common as we age. It can be caused by a variety of factors, including exposure to loud noise, genetics, certain medications, infections, and more. The severity of hearing loss can also vary, from mild to profound.
What Are the 10 Major Symptoms of Hearing Loss?
- Difficulty understanding speech:This is perhaps the most common symptom of hearing loss. You may find it difficult to understand what people are saying, especially in noisy environments.
- Needing to turn up the volume:You may find yourself constantly turning up the volume on the TV or radio or asking others to speak louder.
- 3Muffling of sounds:Sounds may seem muffled or distorted, making it difficult to distinguish words or specific sounds.
- Ringing in the ears:Tinnitus is a common symptom of hearing loss. It can manifest as a ringing, buzzing, or whistling sound in the ears.
- Withdrawal from social situations:If you’re struggling to hear, you may start avoiding social situations or large gatherings.
- Misunderstanding what others are saying:You may find yourself frequently misunderstanding what others are saying or responding inappropriately to questions.
- Fatigue or stress:Straining to hear can be exhausting and stressful, leading to physical and emotional fatigue.
- Difficulty hearing on the phone:Hearing loss can make it difficult to hear on the phone, especially if the other person’s voice is muffled or if there’s a lot of background noise.
- Trouble hearing high-pitched sounds:People with hearing loss may have trouble hearing high-pitched sounds, such as birds chirping or children’s voices.
- Changes in balance:Some people with hearing loss may experience unsteadiness as the inner ear plays a role in maintaining balance.
What If I’m Experiencing These Symptoms?
If you’re experiencing any of these symptoms, it’s important to schedule a test to determine if you could be helped by a hearing aid. At North Alabama Audiology, we can help identify the type and severity of your hearing loss, as well as the most appropriate management options. We offer a wide range of solutions at our Decatur office, including hearing aids and other assistive devices. Taking care of your hearing as you age is a crucial step in practicing healthy aging habits.
It’s also important to protect your hearing by wearing earplugs or earmuffs in loud environments, turning down the volume on headphones or earbuds, and taking regular breaks from loud noise. We offer custom hearing protection for the people of Huntsville, Madison, Trinity, and Belle Mina.
By being aware of the symptoms of hearing loss and taking steps to protect your hearing, you can maintain good hearing health for years to come.